Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dr. Y.S.R. Reddy

'Please be informed that as of now, BCP is invoked,' a voice said yesterday to a gathering of several hundred employees at our office in Cyberabad.

BCP or Business Continuity Plan is every organisation’s detailed plan for a contingency that an event or disaster could lead to Operational Risks. If it is invoked, among many things, employees might be asked to stay back at work. Investment Banking is a lot about providing BAU – Business As Usual.

‘For what?’ – And many more questions like these began to percolate in hushed whisperings amongst us.

‘Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YSR Reddy’s chopper has lost ATC contact and has been missing. It left Begumpet Airport this morning and has been reported missing since around 9.30 a.m. Army/IAF/RAF/CRPF/ISRO are all engaged in search operations, in 6 districts adjoining Hyderabad and until further notice no one is to leave office premises’ came the voice of clarification.

‘So what! My comb was missing this morning. Could I SOS the Army/IAF/RAF/CRPF/ISRO for THAT,’ someone said.

Obviously, there are issues with keeping back 1000+ employees inside the office premises, overnight, without adequate notice. Food, Health, Hygiene and What’s-in-it-for-me were the main concerns of the employees or at least that’s what I could decipher out of the situation. Security and safety of everyone, was our banks main concern. And we weren’t the only one. Across the IT district, companies had decided to invoke their own versions of BCP plans. Twin cities of Hyderabad-Secunderabad have a known history of incomprehensible violence. In my 18 months of stay here, I have often heard the Old city area to erupt with protests that often have to be calmed down with a lathi charge. Things begin from there and have a tendency to spread across the city.

So a missing chief minister of the stature of YSR Reddy evoked the fear of unknown. His Bell chopper, as news emerged slowly throughout the day, went missing in a Naxal infested area somewhere near Kurnool District. What if it was shot down by a group of ultras?

Out of personal experience, I know for a fact what that means in this state. We were out trekking at a fort in Medak District and we didn’t really pay attention to the fact that it was 6 in the evening. Who would imagine that an abandoned fort is closed to visitors after a certain time? It was a simple trek, a way to spend an evening under the stars. 8 of us reached the top at around 6 p.m, only to find an army camp, Labradors barking and the 4 jawans posted inside the camp pointing a shiny new metallic rifle, 1 by 2 style, at us. Many arguments (in Hindi, English and finally in Telugu by the only guy who could speak that language amongst us) later we came to know that they were thinking we are a group of Naxalwadis. There was a shoot-on-sight order enforced inside the fort after 6 P.M. It took more than 2 hours to convince them that we were nowhere remotely connected to what they were assuming but just a bunch of 'fools' from Hyderabad (yea, we even gave that a shot in order to try to convince them, after all we were trespassing on government property!). This, inspite of the fact that we had motor licenses, company I-cards, pan cards, credit cards, atm cards, a blackbery and even a passport to prove our identity. In these districts, it’s a sensitive issue.

So, keeping in mind all the unknown variables, our bank was concerned. It is supposed to be Ganesha Visarjan today. Transporting so many employees in or out of work would be a logistical nightmare. Travelling across the city is definitely a no-no.

Uh-oh. Houston, we have a problem here. What happened after the BCP was invoked is another story; I shall not mix it up with this post. Luckily I live 15 minutes away from work and did not have to stay back overnight.

To those who haven’t read THIS post, I’d recommend you to do so now, before going ahead with the remaining content of my rant.

I came to Cyberabad (That’s what the IT district of Hyderabad is now referred to) in February 2008 with a million dreams and aspirations. If you’ve read the other post, you would have some idea about my amazement whilst I was passing through from Begumpet Airport to Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills, Hi-Tec City and my work premises at the SEZ in Manikonda for the first time.

Most of it is in place today, thanks to Chandrababu Naidu’s unique public-private initiatives.

I have heard the most fascinating stories about his leadership at Telugu Desam Party and his vision for Hyderabad. His political acumen and far-sightedness, his charming nature and economic intellect led to Andhra Pradesh ranking as the 3rd best place to invest in during his time as the Chief Minister of the state from 1995 to 2004, after Maharashtra and Gujarat (Business Today survey - 2000).

I’m sure that there is statistics available for the amount of FDI and retail investment in Andhra Pradesh (especially cities like Hyderabad, port and ship building town of Vizag, etc), I just dont know it right now. But I do have a sense for the enormity of it. In his tenure, there was a lot of investment in IT parks, Malls, Cinemas, Hotels, Roads, Flyovers, physical Infrastructure, the recently operational Shamshabad Int'l Airport and a lot of real estate developed around it. Hyderabad became a city of sprawling townships and luxury suites/villas, golf courses, polo clubs, etc. as the number of affluent people moving to the IT district increased, gradually, over time. There was supposed to be a F1 track which was to come up in Hyderabad, but after his term the plans have been shelled and it is now coming up in Greater Noida. Also the VW plant which is now in Chakan near Pune was supposed to be near Hyderabad.

That is the kind of potential and investment the state would routinely attract under him. His reformist policies were also instrumental in the better governance across the state. Aptly called by many as the CEO of Andhra Pradesh, he transformed the state’s economic performance to such a degree that he is more often than not seen as a corporate manager rather than a public servant. Thousands and thousands of people have settled down in Hyderabad thanks to excellent opportunities at the Multi National Companies or industries and services catering to their needs. Amazing and fabulous people from small districts and villages in AP, and basically all of the rest of India.

There is also a very interesting filmy connection, for Chandrababu Naidu is the son-in-law of N.T. Rama Rao, another great chief minister of state who was in power before him and a veteran actor of Telugu Cinema.

Fascinating stories of a family in power.

Enter Y.S.R. Reddy.

In that first month in Hyderabad I learnt that there are actually 4 states in South India, and Goa is definitely not one of them. Before flying to UK, I had to find myself a place for a week or so while waiting for my visa stamping (that’s what it’s called among techies), and I found myself a nice little place in Hi-Tec city. I still remember the 9’o clocks and 6’o clocks outside my balcony in that week. Hi-Tec city area is definitely one of the busiest parts of the city in terms of human activity or traffic during this time. Lights, Colours, Noise.. bustling life. NIFT Students, bank employees, real estate agents showing people places to live for, chaiwalas, Udipi hotelwalas, Restaurant employees, Mall employees or simply tourists. And of course, the thousands of techies who are either being dragged to work or running back home, depending on the time of day and/or shift. Rectangular I-cards hanging around their necks, making each one of them just another number in the crowd. Daily lives of ordinary people just like you and me.

You would see fascinating things like an Audi, BMW or Jaguar side by side a tam tam (a seven-seater rickshaw in which almost inevitably you’d find 10 to 13 people on board.)

One such day I was out in the evening exploring the beautifully built Shilparamam crafts village which was a mere few metres away from my place, when I see a stir of activity.

Road traffic officers emptied the entire section of a street near Cyber Towers. All activity ceased. Within minutes I could see a convoy of black Scorpio’s passing by. One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven... It was something irrational that my mind was doing standing there on the street counting cars. That’s when the heart took over and I lost track of the number of cars following each other. Trailing behind the convoy were an assorted mix of vehicles, government Ambassadors and Pajero's. Army Jeeps and police bikes. And as suddenly as the whole thing started, it ended. The RTO officer gave a signal and dare devil bikers rushed at unbelievable speeds, as if they had a very important message to deliver to someone in that convoy. Or maybe they were pizza delivery guys. Who knows?

As soon as the ‘event’ was over, I went to a traffic officer and asked him who it was.

‘Y.S.R. Reddy,’ he said.

Some where in 2007, there was this ugly incident about a man being hit by a taxi or something and lying on the streets in Kolkata without receiving any medical attention for many minutes just because one such minister’s convoy was supposed to be passing through. I know how I’d felt back then, hearing about the incidence.

But I also know how I felt when Y.S.R. Reddy’s convoy passed by. I don’t know why, but as the number counting stopped, for a few moments when the heart took over, I felt inspired and awed.

Throughout yesterday and today at work, the air in our bank has been charged with a strange mixture of feelings and emotions. Some recalled his momentous padayatra across AP, in support of the common man, for the draught and poverty stricken farmers. Some relayed his most momentous achievement, the complete defeat of TDP and a landslide victory over Chandrababu Naidu. Or how he was the only minister in a long time to serve full 5 years of office. Or his rural centric policies and wonderful changes in local governance that he bought about.

Some debated that the economic development initiated by Chandrababu has been nullified in his tenure. Or how goondaraj prevailed during his time and conspiracies about eliminating many TDP leaders for the sake of power at the state assembly. And of course who has not heard about the Satyam scandal? New angles and twists were being given to this story after all these months, some saying that he allowed Satyam to run along, knowingly, for so long. Some alleged his ineffectiveness of not being able to manage the Naxal threat and things like that.

And me, I was just speechless. Just HOW do people learn about these things? They say it as if they were the ones doing it or it happened in their presence. As if somehow, they have been asked for their judgement.

If some eager chap would suddenly butt in with a question like, just how or why did he allow himself to be flown inside an un-airworthy chopper, speculation and tales would begin once again. People would go back and remember his last words which have been televised continuously for all of yesterday and today. They would start talking about his intention to visit villages to check if measures taken by local officials are adequate for draught stricken villagers. And his intentions to fulfil his promises that he made during his famous padayatra back in 2003 and re-election in 2009. Some would start commenting on the sab chalta hai, this is India boss, attitude that has become a part of our lives. Some were outraged that inspite of so many agencies being deployed for one of the biggest hunt in the country, just why couldnt the chopper's location be found for a full day. It took some villagers, on foot, to finally locate the site of the crash, people said.

Ganesha Visarjana festival has been muted this year, at least in Hyderabad. As the day neared to an end, people were getting ready for another night of BCP at office. We could hear conversations like - who will Congress choose next as the CM? Who will fill up the void left behind in this great man’s absence.

I don’t know. I’m sure this is going to be one political weekend at the least, if not many other things.

What I do know is a scene from Finding Forrester where Jamal is talking to Forrester reading to him an excerpt from his book:

‘The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow.’

What I do know, is Death gives us reasons to live for.

It will be an honour to be as dust once again, besides people like you on the other side.

I wonder what the other side is all about.

No comments: