Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Chaos, Quantum Physics, Stars and the Universe.

A scientist sits in his laboratory in Bern measuring fluid dynamics and wave structure of the pacific current. It is the daily life equivalent of a person observing the activity on the trading floor of New York Stock Exchange just after the opening bell. Chaos. The theory says that if you reset everything to initial condition, a zero, and let things run its course all over again, small tiny imperfection in the system will lead to a totally different outcome every single time you run this experiment.

Fascinating.

Without using any of the math and any of the theories propagated by Heinsberg, Planck, Einstein, Bohr, Hilbert and so many others that I know nothing about, let me try to tell you all I understand about Quantum mechanics. In life, this world is nothing but possibilities. If I die, the universe ceases to exist. Yep, as far as I know, that is what Quantum physics has to talk about. It is a set of principles regarding a lot of things, including atoms and sub-atomic structures. At any point in time everything is a set of possibilities, assigned with a cosmic order of probabilities. One can never predict the specific location of an electron inside an atom. It's just there. The precise location is nothing but a set of probabilities. When an observer measures its location or mass, these set of probabilities get assigned a factor and the result is what we see. So, to visualise the electron around a nucleus, we have to draw clouds and build a statistical model that measures the possibilities of location of this electron.

How profound.

So, putting these two concepts together lets prophesize. Imagine a sea-shore with golden or white sand. Empty it of all the people and consciousness surrounding you. Paint in early morning or light evening and a sun set moment. Now, close your eyes. Watch a camera rolling in from behind, zooming into the back of your head. Kill that moment and open your eyes. Do you see the ocean?

That's your Universe. Watch the sun-set and the sky turn from light blue to orange to black. A star shines somewhere up above. Understand illusions and understand relativity. You see the star right now, but its actually light that it emitted maybe a couple of million years ago. It just reached your eye now. If you hadn't seen it, it didn’t exist. That's quantum physics. It gets confusing here if we suppose that instead of you alone on the beach, I am also there. You saw the star and I didn't. How could it be possible that THAT star exists for you and not for me? How can both our perceptions be realities?

It is possible, because the universe, you see is, a matter of perception. The reality did not change with the fact that you saw the star and I didn’t. A probability changed here. A factor got assigned a specific weight in our equations. The star was always there. In your reality, it became true and with mine it didn’t. Doesn't mean its a good or bad comparison over here. Suppose I opened an eye and just in that moment a Cormorant, Tern or a Puffin appeared like a mirage from the vastness of the ocean and distracts/diverts my attention. You point out the star to me and instead of looking at the star I follow the bird's flight. That's chaos. My reality, this time, is something else.

Makes one want to question the idea of controlling our choices or looking back in retrospective and trying to understand what affected these choices. So many of us wish we had made the right choices. But can you tell me? Have you ever wondered that its not only about ''I feel that the choices that I made were wrong'' but also, in a way, about ''The consequences of the choices that I made were wrong''.

I have also been toying with an idea. There is a difference between our idea of happiness and our perception of happiness. Largely, it seems to me, that happiness is always based on the past or is always going to be with someone's and something's in the future. Everything else that you do in now is self gratification. Standing there, on that sea shore, what I feel is calm and serene and placid and peaceful. But is that really what I feel? Any of these things? Is it something in retrospective? Is it happiness at all? Really?

The thing is, its not who is asking. Its about who is listening. Buddha, when you said this more than 2000 years ago, did you know that one day I would be spending my time trying to understand what it could have meant? The thing is, is there any point at all trying to understand what it all means? This Universe and me, it all just is.

Let’s digress a little towards the Universe and Religion, shall we?

These mornings I wake up to my roommate chanting 'Aum'. It is something he believes in. I googled it and read some fascinating things about its nature. It is a mystical and a sacred syllable. Instant connections to various elements is visible, when I try chanting Aum inside my head. A,U,M. Symbolising Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. Birth, Life and Death. All culminating into the One. Are the relationships with other religious texts purely random? And is there a relationship at all? Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, the trinity comes to my mind instantly. Awful amount of stuff and ideas have been said and shared by humanity over the last couple of thousand years. Instantly to my mind comes an old thought, how did all of this begin? Did it ever really begin? Or is everything just an evolution like Darwin says. But if its evolution, what is it evolving from? Religious texts world over claim that everything is evolving into Oneness, the True and Only Being. What was and What is to be?

I have also been reading awful lot of Judaism and Torah lately. One thought that I particularly have connected to is that existence has come into being when an entity (call it God, call it Consciousness, call it Supreme Being, call it Parmatma, or whatever other names you can think of) created an Octahedron and spun it on its axis to make a sphere. Do not ask me ''if in the beginning there was nothing than of what thing the Octahedron is made up of'' or its ''physical realities'' or who created the thing that created the Octahedron. I am still searching. But that is the beginning, according to these texts. Inside this Octahedron was a consciousness. Then, a second Octahedron was created joined together with the first one and spun on its axis. Two revolving/rotating spheres, symbolically represented as Vesica Pisces. With this, was created light and the Universe. Torah has a pictorial representation of the Flower of Life, a figure that is considered to be sacred geometry and explains everything (or rather lets you understand what is there to be known) about this Universe. Kaaba is the most sacred site in Islam and I know little about its origin and significance. Neither do I understand much about mathematical progression. 1,1,2,3,5,8,13.. Fibonacci relationships and how it is everywhere in nature. But. We live. We learn.

To all those who seek God and try to understand Him by going to Temples, Churches or Masjids, I do not understand one thing about you. You go there all the way to see Him and when He is there in front of you, for you to see, for you to be amazed, why do you close your eyes and pray? Are you, now, looking inside you to find Him? Don't you want to see Him and understand Him?

To those who have vaguely heard about the Big Bang theory, notice the eerie similarity between science and religion? Matter and Anti-matter collided to create a Big Bang, Stephen Hawking says. One day we will travel alongside a beam of light, Einstein dreamt. I don’t really understand a lot of these ideas, not to mention the hypothesis and math, and have no opinions at all about the for and against arguements, but a question I am often left wondering with is, did science and our ideas about the scientific method evolve in many ways from religion? I do not even have the capacity to grasp what Hinduism, Christianity, Islam or Judaism have to say in its entirety, but notice the eerie similarities between all their concepts of the Universe? Aum is a mystical syllable, a vibration inside us that lets us harmonise into the One. Flower of Life is a symbol, a depiction of the Universe and the ultimate perfection which it is trying to evolve into and become God. Trying to understand it, like meditating on AUM, means we are moving towards the One. The Gospel according to John begins with the following words: ''In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.''

Under a star (which is not really a star) on this ground (which is but an illusion) I sit. And look into the vastness of the ocean. And look.

I think, the ONE thing that consciousness and awareness brings to me, is wonder and amazement. My usage of two words is purposeful.

What exactly do we mean, when we say One?

PS: Try listening to Creed - With Arms Wide Open.

No comments: